Monday, January 3, 2011

Trying on wedding gowns

Wei Jien and I went to two bridal houses in SS2 to look at gowns and packages. While I have an ideal gown in mind, I was told that it's going to cost me somewhere between RM10,000 - RM20,000. That's way too expensive!

The first bridal house (let's call it Bridal House A) didn't have the package I want. I don't want to pay RM30 for false eye-lashes when I have boxes of eye-lashes from my pageant days. Also, I'm very particular with my eye shadow colour, and the templates they have are blue and green, the two colours that look most awful on me. I also didn't like the gown selection -- some were OTT.

Bridal House B was better. The packages were more flexible and I liked the service. Showed the staff some of the gowns I had in mind, and they recommended a few nice ones. Two gowns they suggested were on the way (one of them looked similar to what I wanted); the designer just finished making them. These were some of the gowns I tried on:
I like this best. It's simple, but elegant. Sizes were ridiculously small! I couldn't zip it up fully. I'm either fat or brides are expected to be stick thin these days.

Wei Jien thinks it looks good, but he likes another gown better. This gown is a new arrival, so I'm going to have to fork out more $$ if I plan to wear it for both the photo shoot and the big day.

I personally didn't like this, but Wei Jien thought it was quite alright. The chest area felt weird -- it was loose and the cutting wasn't suitable for me. I don't think I can fill the chest area up nicely even if they were to alter it to my size. The bottom half was too plain, which I didn't fancy.

Wei Jien likes this best. I think this looks nice, but I like the first one better. Again, it's way too tight for me, so don't mind the gaping back. For the package they offered, I get a choice of 4 gowns for the photo shoot and 3 gowns (one bridal, one evening and one cheongsam) for the dinner.


They didn't have many gown selections that day, as a lot of gowns were rented out. I didn't see any evening gowns or cheongsams I liked. Apparently, many people got married in December so it's best to return in mid-Jan to see more gowns. We are still looking around for good Bridal Houses, so let me know if you have any in mind!

7 comments:

  1. I prefer Wei Jien's choice :) I personally think the dress cuttin flatters you, more 'women'...especially the lacey trail. Your choice is more princessy and simple, but nice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe if you are contemplating, then I guess you haven't found it yet. Remember, a woman knows what "pops" when you wear it. If cost is a factor, look within the range. I'm sure that precious jewel is waiting for you.
    :) happy hunting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Longkang Cat - Yeah, I guess you're right. Have to hunt high and low... >_<

    Rachel - Thanks babe, I'm sure Wei Jien will be glad to know this. It's a good point. Will be shopping around for more gowns and updating them on this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 2nd 1 looks nice.
    Just make sure survey kao kao before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike, you mean the second picture or second gown? I'm sure you know quite a bit about gowns and how they look on pictures...since you're also a wedding photographer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi bangsar-babe!

    I had my wedding last year. I bought 3 evening gowns during that time as I did not sign up for a bridal package. It gave me the flexibility to custom-made my album, photos and dresses.
    Currently, I would like to sell the 3 dresses away.

    Are you interested to view the photos of the dresses?
    I'm sorry to advertise here in your blog. I was searching for your email add to drop u this question but I couldn't find it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi solvang,

    I've already booked a wedding bridal package, and it also includes gown rental. But thanks for asking! :)

    ReplyDelete