Monday, January 10, 2011

Trying on wedding gowns (part 2)

I got pretty annoyed with a few bridal studios, who tried to charge me additional money for their "VIP" gowns. The studio I went to last weekend was recommended by a reliable person, and I was quite happy with the dresses and package.


Before I looked at the gowns, I made sure there was no "VIP" gown nonsense and no hidden charges. Once I got that out of the way, I went upstairs to see the gowns. Saw a few that I liked, and two gowns looked almost like the gowns I wanted (plus point). Only after I was satisfied with the gowns, we went downstairs and talked about wedding packages.


I insisted on looking at the photographers' portfolio, their real life shots and asked about their photography experience. Wei Jien chose the senior photographer, but I really didn't like his style. He likes playing down the cheekbones, but I want my cheekbones to be highlighted. Also, I found his style a bit old school. The photographer I chose has less experience, but his style suited me and Wei Jien more. Overall, all the photos were alright; nothing impressive but they were not horrible either.


I insisted on quite a few things upfront -- my style of make-up, my own false eye-lashes, my own ampoule and my hair extensions. They charge RM30 for a pair of false eyelashes, and I have plenty of nice lashes in my make-up box. Some may think I'm difficult, but I'm just getting my point across and making sure I get what I want. The girl who attended to me was very nice - let's call her Jane. She was very pleasant to deal with.


Once I agreed with the package, I went back upstairs to try on the gowns. Jane choose two gowns based on the pictures I showed her on my blog. Her selections were pretty spot-on. 



I think this gown is really nice. I'm definitely wearing this for the wedding dinner walk-in...unless they have a nicer gown for me by then. It's fully lace and the cutting suits me well. Jane will need to alter the dress as it's too loose on me. For now, this is "the" dress I want. 

I'm not a fan of this dress/modern cheongsam. There's something about the colour that reminds me of the table cloth used at hotel banquets. Wei Jien and Jane thinks it's nice, but I think it's weird. I might wear it for the photoshoot, since it gives me quite a bit of cleavage but definitely not for the dinner. 

This is the evening dress I want to wear for the dinner. I think the colour is gorgeous and I love love love the back!  


What do you think? Ignore the no make-up face and focus on the dress. :)

When I stepped out in this wedding gown, Wei Jien told me he paused for quite a while. Don't know if he's being corny or if he meant it. This was almost exactly like the dress I wanted from the wedding gown websites I browsed. 
Since it's not as elaborate as the full lace gown (1st gown), I'm keeping this for the photoshoot and maybe the tea pouring ceremony. That's if they allow me to use two wedding gowns on that day. 



This cheongsam is a bit too much, if you ask me. Jane said it would look good for photo shoot, but I'm just not feeling this dress. I don't like the flower details on this dress. It's OTT. 


Hmmm.......

11 comments:

  1. the first gown.. was my wedding gown on oct 10 last year.. ;p

    it was the only gown i liked in the bridal boutique.. the intricate lace and the mermaid cutting were such a lovely combination.. and the same girl attended to me.. she's such a nice girl isn't she? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. amrsvr - Really? So was the gown easy to wear? That bridal studio...are they honest in general? Did you get ripped off in any way?

    Baby - Hahaha...I feel the same way. My "cina" parents actually like the cheongsam. And they hate the other gowns I choose, especially the two wedding gowns and the red evening gown. ~_~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear,u chooses the studio dy?? Wud u interested to hv photoshooting in Taiwan,my brother signed up a package which all the photo shooting been dine in Taiwan and the price compare to the local studio is almost the same bur the shooting concept is definitely creative and worth it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. the evening gown is niceee =)) Congraz again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elson - Thanks!! :)

    傻婆蘅 - Haven't confirmed the studio. How much is the photoshoot in Taiwan? A few of my friends are going to Taiwan to do the photoshoot, but I'm worried about the quality.

    Most packages there will include 10 other couples. So the photographer might end up spending less time with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the dresses that you have put up from this bridal studio. I know you are not doing an advertorial, but can you tell me which bridal studio is this? My big day is Oct 2011, and I still haven't found anything I like... Arrrgghhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i had a wonderful night.. the gown didn't give me any problem at all.. and i'm much bigger than u.. ;p

    no prob with the gown train too..

    and the boutique was honest.. i returned the gown a week late and they didn't charge anything.. still return the full deposit.. but i found that they have limited choices for veil.. i had mine tailor made.. they explained bout their photography packages too.. which i find quite interesting but as i had already booked another photographer, i didn't take theirs..

    as for the shoes, i got a pair at pavilion.. from rocking reptiles.. easy on the feet and very durable.. price is not that expensive too..

    about the planner, this lady from perfectday planner did my wedding.. price is reasonable.. unlimited consultation time.. very personalised service.. she was previously with MAS and Petronal Phillharmonic Hall.. I hired her 5 months prior to the event and there were many vips during the event and she pulled it out quite nicely..

    good luck to u & future husband! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. amrsvr - That's good to know. I signed up with them already. Hopefully service will be good, and that I don't get ripped off.

    I wore rocking reptiles during the Miss Malaysia Universe pageant last year. I found the shoes very uncomfortable, maybe because they were sponsored and I didn't get to choose them. They are gorgeous, but susah to wear! ~_~

    cala - La Sposa, SS2. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i LOVE the second wedding gown on you wayyy better... looks classier and so gorgeous!!

    and somehow, the cheongsams and gowns u tried didn't compliment u well enough

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a nice post on Wedding dresses! Well dear I am going to have traditional Wedding ceremony at best San Francisco wedding venues. So I would prefer getting a traditional gown. Do you have traditional San Francisco wedding gowns?

    ReplyDelete