Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Engagement Ring

Wei Jien gave a lot of thought when he designed my engagement ring. I never expected him to do so much research on rings! Apparently, he went to quite a few jewelry shops to scout for rings and to familiarize himself with the cut, colour, clarity and carat.


After a few months of research, he went to a jeweler (recommended by a family friend) to buy a good diamond. He then designed the ring based on the diamond cut and shape, as well as my personality.


My engagement ring


The ring has 6-prong settings. He initially wanted a 4-prong setting, but it didn't do the diamond justice -- the diamond looked square. The 6-prong setting makes the diamond look rounder and nicer.


Some may argue that 6 prongs cover up more of the diamond. It's true. Good thing the diamond he chose isn't small and it is very shiny. So the 6 prongs actually complemented the diamonds quite beautifully. According to him, I have a rather boyish character (he knew me since I was 13), so the 6-prong setting's bolder look suited me better.


He choose a thinner band because my fingers are bony and cannot carry a thick band nicely. The sides of the band are adorned with small diamonds to make the ring shinier. It also reflects my "princess-y" character.


I like how he thought of the design thoroughly -- he actually made three visits to the jeweler to make sure everything is perfect. Everyone I met said the ring reflected my personality very aptly. I'm glad Wei Jien didn't just buy the ring "off the rack." Makes me feel special. =)

He mentioned that he might want to change my diamond to a heart-shaped one. The jeweler is now looking for a heart-shaped diamond that meets his budget, but I think my ring is lovely the way it is.

3 comments:

  1. a girl's best friends— diamonds & the man who showers her with them! ;D

    lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think he love you so much. Oh ya, do you know LAVIN NY? LAVIN NY is a United State based company and did access to the latest jewelry trends and technologies. Custom order Lavin Diamond will allow LAVIN's professional gemologists and designers to design and produce jewelry or even source for particular gemstones for customers. See more at:
    http://kidbuxblog.com/lavin-diamond/

    ReplyDelete